By submitting to Makarim Al-Akhlak, authors attest that:
- The submission is an original work, free from any form of plagiarism (text, data, and figures).
- The submission has not been previously published, nor is it under consideration by another journal.
- The submission has been approved by all co-authors and relevant authorities (e.g. an institution or sponsor).
- The manuscript has been (to the best of the authors' abilities) written in good Indonesian, English, or Arabic.
ONLINE SUBMISSION PROCEDURE
Submissions to Makarim Al-Akhlak should be through its online submission system. There are no strict formatting requirements for the initial submission, as long as the article structure conforms with our guidelines (see the manuscript structure section below). Manuscripts that advance to the revision stage will then be required to be formatted appropriately (see the formatting section). This enables authors to focus on the scientific content of their manuscript, along with speeding up the article's processing time.
Author registration. Authors without an Makarim Al-Akhlak account are required to create an account before beginning their submission. Make sure that the "Author" role is selected in the Role dropdown menu, otherwise, you will not be able to proceed with the submission.
Author(s) data. The submitting author is required to complete the author(s) data during the submission. Please ensure that the affiliation addresses are complete and written exactly as they appear on the manuscript.
Manuscript metadata. Please complete at least the following information related to the manuscript:
- Title. Fill in the manuscript title field in sentence case.
- Abstract. Paste the abstract into the abstract field; make sure that the formatting is consistent with the manuscript (e.g. superscript and italics).
- Keywords. Provide a maximum of five words/phrases, separated by semicolons.
- References. References should be written in accordance with the American Psychological Association 6th edition (Makarim Al-Akhlak's chosen reference style) please use the mendeley application.
Title. Use a concise and informative title in sentence case, with a maximum of 16 words.
Affiliation. Provide the author's affiliation.
Abstract. Should consist of a single paragraph of no more than 250 words. Provide the background and objective of the paper (including its originality), method, its principal results, and its conclusions. Avoid using abbreviations and citations.
Keywords. Include a maximum of five keywords or phrases, arranged alphabetically and separated using semicolons (;). Use specific, relevant terms that do not appear in the title, so that the article is easier to find in search engines. Do not use terms that are too general or too long.
Introduction. This section should briefly explain the background of the study, provide a short review of the pertinent literature, state the originality of the research, and state the research objectives.
Materials and methods. Combine the materials and methods used into one narrative passage. Enough information should be provided to enable repetition of the research.
Results. Describe the outcome of the study. Data should be presented as concisely as possible, and in the form of tables or figures if appropriate, although very large tables should be avoided. If needed, this section can be combined with the Discussion section into Results and discussion section.
Discussion. This section should be an interpretation of the results of the work (not a repetition of them) in the context of previous research. Avoid excessive referencing of published literature. If needed, this section can be combined with the Results section into a Results and discussion section.
Acknowledgments. Acknowledge anyone who contributed to the research, as well as any funding or grants received in support of it. The names of funding organizations should be written in full, along with the grant numbers, if available. List any individuals who helped you during the study (e.g. assistance with study design or analysis, or guidance through a study area), or writing of the article (e.g. providing advice on the language, editing, or proofreading the article).
References. For the purposes of efficiency and conciseness, avoid using more than 30 references and less than 10. Makarim Al-Akhlak uses an American Psychological Association 6th edition and Authors are strongly urged to use a reference manager such as Zotero or Mendeley to build their bibliography, saving the file in .bib format.
Please note that Makarim Al-Akhlak's editors have the right to change an article's formatting to adhere to the journal's style or maintain consistency.
Headings. Don't use numbering of headings
Abbreviations. Abbreviations should be given at the first instance of the full term and used consistently thereafter.
Figures and tables
- Figure size and quality. When preparing your figures, size them to fit in a column width (either 80 mm or 170 mm), with a maximum height of 230 mm. Ensure that images are of sufficiently high resolution to be easily viewable (minimum of 300 dpi).
- Image format. Send images in an image file format (png, jpeg, tiff), vector (eps, SVG), or pdf. Do not send them in a PowerPoint presentation format.
- Graphs. Graphs created with Microsoft Excel should also be sent in their original Excel file. Present graphs in 2D (not 3D), without shadows or other effects, and without gridlines.
- Table size. Size tables to fit in a column width (either 80 mm or 170 mm), with a maximum height of 230 mm. Use only horizontal lines for borders.
- Table and figure numbering. Every table and figure should be cited in the text in numerical order using Arabic numerals (i.e. Figure 2 cannot be cited before Figure 1). Tables should be referred to as "Table" and figures as "Figure" (not "Fig."). Place table footnotes below the table, indicating them with superscripted lowercase letters or asterisks (for significance values and other statistical data). Denote figure parts with lowercase letters (e.g. Figure 1a, Figure 1b).
- Table and figure captions. Every table and figure should have a title or caption, which should be concise but clear enough to explain its main components independently from the text. If the table or figure contains previously published material, cite the original source at the end of the caption. If the results are expressed as a percentage, state the absolute value(s) that correspond to 100%. State in the caption if a figure has been altered or enhanced in any way.
- Figure formatting. Photographs must have internal scale markers and symbols, and arrows or letters should contrast greatly with the background.
- Files submission. Submit every figure as a separate file, and all tables in one separate file. You should also provide the captions to tables and figures in a separate text file. For example, if your manuscript contains four figures and three tables, then you will have seven files to submit: 1 manuscript file, 4 figure files, 1 table file, and 1 caption file.
- File naming. Name your figure files "Figure" with the figure number; e.g. Figure1.jpeg. Name your tables file "Tables"; e.g. Tables.docx or Tables.xlsx.
Italicization. Words of non-Indonesian origin should be italicized, except for terms that are widely used in the Indonesian language and do not italicize words for emphasis.
Numbers. Spell out numbers of less than two digits (i.e. eight, nine, 10, 11), except when using them in a technical context or to present data, such as in the materials and methods or results. Spell out "percent” in text, and do not use the symbol (%).
- 4000–6000 words in length (excluding tables, captions, and references).
- Indonesian, English, or Arabic spelling.
- Standard 12pt (e.g. Centaur).
Download Makarim Al-Akhlak's Article Template and Citation Guide.
Submission Preparation Checklist
As part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- This submission is an original work, free from any form of plagiarism (text, data, and figures).
- This submission has not been previously published, nor is it under consideration by another journal.
- This submission has been approved for publication by all co-authors and relevant authorities (e.g. an institution or sponsor).
- The submission, which includes all supplemental files (image files, tables files, captions files, and references in .bib), has been formatted and prepared in accordance with the submission guidelines.
- The manuscript has been (to the best of the authors' abilities) written in good Indonesian, English or Arabic and is free of grammatical errors. It has been checked with a proofreading tool (e.g. Grammarly) and, if possible, proofed by a language editor.
- The authors comply with the ethical standards as outlined in the Publication Ethics and Malpractice Statement.
Pemberitahuan Hak Cipta
Makarim Al-Akhlak disebarluaskan di bawah Lisensi Creative Commons Atribusi-BerbagiSerupa 4.0 Internasional.